Ketel Marte is one of the best hitters the Diamondbacks have, a switch-hitting engine in the middle of their lineup who's put up a.764 OPS with 21 home runs this season. So when he didn't show up to Fenway Park before first pitch on August 17, it wasn't a scratch or a rest day. It was serious enough that Arizona had no choice but to place him on the restricted list, the designation MLB teams use when a player is unavailable for reasons that have nothing to do with an injury.

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Marte traveled with the team to Boston but never made it into the ballpark. The Diamondbacks reportedly waited right up until game time hoping he'd turn up before finally making the move. The team hasn't publicly explained why, and by all accounts Marte is physically healthy. That silence is exactly what's fueling speculation around a story that, for now, has more questions than answers.
To fill the roster spot, Arizona recalled infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno. Fernandez had already been up with the taxi squad while Nolan Arenado dealt with a day-to-day torso injury, so the timing at least made the corner infield mix manageable even as the middle of the order took a real hit.
This isn't uncharted territory for Marte, unfortunately. He landed on the restricted list under similar circumstances last year, missing time around the All-Star break after his Scottsdale home was burglarized while he was away at the All-Star Game. Whether this situation carries any connection to that one is unclear, but it's the second straight season Marte has needed to step away from the team for reasons outside the lines.
The timing stings. Arizona has clawed its way into the third and final NL Wild Card spot, tied with the Phillies and just 2 games ahead of a hard-charging Marlins club. Losing your best middle-of-the-order bat for an indefinite stretch during a playoff chase this tight is the kind of thing that can swing a race, and nobody in the organization has said how long Marte will be away.
For now, the Diamondbacks are left playing games without one of their most important players and offering no timeline for his return. Until Arizona or Marte says more, this stays a personal matter first and a roster problem second, but both are very real for a team fighting to hang on to a playoff spot down the stretch.